We found out that G is a candidate for a CI in his left ear. We obviously wanted one enough to ask about it and take him to be evaluated. But even finding out that he could have one, it was hard to decide if we wanted one. I had built up this image of myself as a good parent. Part of that identity was my acceptance of G's deafness and accommodating it by learning sign language. Getting a CI felt like a betrayal of that ideal.
But we want one. We want him to have a better chance of getting intelligible speech. Maybe this is naive, but we want to devote less effort to speech. Right now he just doesn't have access to most speech frequencies. With a CI, maybe the same amount of speech will have greater effect.
And we still use sign language all the time. So we have to let go of that pride. That's probably a good thing.
An the Crust was so soft I was like "What is this whitchery!?"
This week G told me that his church clothes were wrinkled. They had sat in a laundry basket too long and yes, they were wrinkled. I told h...
G wen to a summer camp in Rochester, NY all by himself. I put him on a plane and he went. I'm so glad he's very confident and inde...
P has taught G to mow the lawn. I asked him today if he would mow the rest of the lawn and he just got up and put on his socks and shoes ...