Priceless Gifts

This time of year you see a lot of bell ringers asking for donations.
We generally wave and go on in to the stores and buy things we don't
need. So I feel a little guilty.
Today we were buying food we did need when G picked up a
donation can. The tag said "Local family with triplets needs help."
It's that kind of store that would actually be supporting a local effort.
The picture had a baby with oxygen, and monitors hooked up.
As examined the can the cashier implied that G wanted
the money. Feeling embarrassed I suggested that Geoff wanted me
to give him some money to put in the can. So I gave him a dollar.
He carefully folded the bill and slipped it through the slot. The baggers
looked on with smiles and gave him high fives.
When we got out to the car I asked G about it. "Why did you
put the money in the can?"
"Baby sick" he said.
"That's right, the baby is in the hospital and the family needs money
for the doctors."
So for a dollar I had a chance to teach him the priceless lesson of
charity.

Merry Christmas.

Comments

Popular Posts