Speech

I've started working with G on an almost daily basis.  We read a simple children's book into the ipad ap Notes using the voice to text feature.  He can see the computer trying to make sense of the words and slow down.  He's figuring out what he has to do to be understood.

While he is doing the voice-to-text I don't talk much.  I try to let him work it out with the machine.  He can read so well that he can read the book and the ipad simultaneously and self-polices.  Sometimes the ipad thinks he has said a swear word and that is shocking/amusing and really important for him to see what happens if he isn't speaking clearly. 


We also read 2 pages of "Death by Black Hole" with me pointing to each word as he reads.  I use a card with the corner as the pointer.  I stop at words that were unclear, or fix pronunciation.  I'm obnoxious in my belief that I know the right way to say things. 

I've noticed that G struggles with repeated sounds, like "have average", or "there are arms".  So that's one of the things I'm pointing out to him and watching for as he reads. 

He used to get really frustrated when we started this almost daily work, but now he knows it only takes 10 minutes and he goes through it with great attitude.  I'm very grateful to be his mom and to have this time with him.

Comments

Popular Posts